Friday, May 7, 2010

It Was My Mom's Fault ...

When I was a baby, my mom didn't cut my hair.  As I recall, when I asked about past photos, my mom "loved" my long curly blond hair and didn't cut it until I was well past 2 years old.

"Mr. and Mrs. Halverson, you must be so proud to have another baby girl."

Now, as a parent, I acknowledge a parent's right to "parent" their children.  If my mom was proud of her baby BOY's long flowing locks, who am I to criticize?  I don't necessarily feel "scarred" by the fact I had long hair.  However, in the years that came after, my attempts at long curly hair was never received with the same adoration.


It wasn't meant to be.


Somewhere in me, however, was a longing to once again make my mom proud.  But if I was no longer able to do it myself, then what were my options?




Sorry Micah ... It was my Mom's fault.

When Caleb was born, I emphatically told my wife (who has her own blog) we were not cutting his hair.  After a short time though, it became apparent his hair was too "coarse" to "flow".  Then we had two girls.  And though I emphatically told my wife we were not cutting their hair, it was never quite the same.  Then we had Micah.

And although my wife emphatically told me that 3 years old was quite long enough, I feel "complete" knowing that I made my mom proud.  (You were proud weren't you mom?)

3 comments:

  1. apparently you're now trying to scar me.... if you had blurred the edges just a little bit more on your fabio/paul creation, the horror would have been complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it appear to anyone else that I am screaming and shrinking away from you in that first picture? Apparently I was not a fan of your hair at that time. Now, however, I think your long baby hairdo would be something a Charlie's Angel would be quite jealous of.

    p.s. I have GOT to get me that caption option!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, your hair was Gorgeous when you were little, and we got comments all the time about how cute you were with it, which only confirmed my wise choice in letting it grow (who doesn't want affirmation of their cute child?) The only reason I would cut it (which I made known to everyone who asked) was if our 2nd child was a girl, so you need to thank Cheryl(or really, dad I suppose). There is a picture of me when I was 2 or 3 with curly, blond hair (hmmm, I wonder if we looked alike...)

    ReplyDelete