Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Have the Best In-Laws!!

(I know what you are thinking.  "Paul, aren't your in-laws coming to stay with you?  Is this a post to butter them up for their stay?"  And the answer is, "Perhaps slightly ...")


Pat and Jeanette = Best In-Laws
It is true that my wife's parents are coming to stay with us.  From May 18 to June 7.  Now, you might think that is a long time to have your spouse's parents stay with you, but ... this brings us to the purpose of this post.

Over the past couple months ... as this time has been approaching, it has become more and more a part of my everyday conversation.  It is not unusual for those of us who live in Maui, to ask each other who has stayed with you, is staying with you, or will be staying with you.  In our (my wife (who has her own blog) and my) first 10 years of marriage, we maybe had 10 nights* where someone had stayed "over" at our house.  These last 13 months living in Maui, we have had 70 nights**,*** where someone has stayed "over".

Don't get me wrong.  Mandy and I love having guests.  We have always tried to express our hospitality to those around us, and living in Maui allows us to bring it to a whole new level.

So, living in Maui, we ask one another "Who was, is or will be staying with you?"

So recently, my answer has been, "My wife's parents."  Or, "My In-Laws."  And sometimes I would add they were staying with us for 3 weeks.  Inevitably, some people would gawk or respond negatively.  "Good luck with that," they would say.  Or, "Ugh, I couldn't handle that."  I have to admit, it caught me off guard.

"No, no.  It's not like that!." I would exclaim.  "I don't mind at all."  "Really!?" they would say in utter surprise.

Over the past couple months, and more recently ... er recently.  I have found myself saying, "I have the best in-laws."
  
Brothers and Sister In-Law too
When Mandy told me Pat and Jeanette were coming to stay with us, I didn't even think twice about it.  "It'll be for three weeks?" she asked.  "OK," I said (perhaps even with a shrug).  It really doesn't bother me because I have the best in-laws.  Of course, there is that weird ImarriedyourdaughterandIhopeyouthinkIamtakinggoodcareofher vibe, but that is mostly me dealing with my "issues."

There is a bit of a stigma regarding in-laws in our culture.  You often see or hear of negative portrayals of the family of those that we marry.  When I fell in love with their daughter, my biggest concern wasn't whether they were good parents-in-law, but whether they would accept me as their son-in-law! (I was [slightly] older than their daughter).  I am certain I got the better end of the deal.

Best wedding ever.

I love you Pat and Jeanette, you are my parents, my Mom and Dad.  Thank you for accepting me and for praying for me (your daughter's future husband).  Thank you for making me a part of your family.  You can stay with us anytime because you are the best in-laws.

I married into an awesome family.  A husband could not be any luckier.



____________________
*we never really kept track and 10 years is a long period of time to remember accurately.

**now we have a guest book, kind of.

***We have lived in Maui 391 days from April 21, 2009 to the date of this post May 16, 2010.  Cheryl has inspired me to figure the percentage of 70 nights to the time we have lived in Maui.  It is 17.9%**** (feel free to double check my math.  I, of course, did not make any sweeping assumptions). After Mandy's parents' stay, that percentage will increase to 21.8%.

****as compared to .003% before we lived in Maui.

3 comments:

  1. It took me a second to realize that "**,***" were references 2 and 3....not references in the 10 thousands.... I feel like you did that on purpose you trickster you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, where to start??

    1) "I, of course, did not make any sweeping assumptions." Harrumph, I say!

    2) You "were" slightly older? But you're not anymore?

    3) And yes, I pointed out 2) above because of 1) above.

    4) I love that you photoshopped Tori and Dylan into the family picture! And I love that they each look like angels on Phil & Katie's shoulders, respectively - too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I did the same thing Laura did...."what are all these asterisks for"? Too funny.

    The last picture with all of us (and Tory) is classic! I didn't notice Dylan until I read Cheryl's comment. I am laughing out loud! Granted, he WAS there -- in my tummy. But, this is a much better picture of him.

    Thanks for posting this sweet blog about my parents. I am thankful that you love mom and dad as much as their own kids do.

    p.s. with 2 families staying with you for 3 weeks each sure helps your percentages! I am glad we were one of those families.

    ReplyDelete