Sunday, July 18, 2010

How Beautiful Are the Feet ....

I remember, a long time ago, a message given by Pat Hamman at Northwest Community Church.  Actually, I don't remember the message, per se, as that I remember an illustration he used in the message.  He quoted Romans 10:15, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" (Which, of course, is a quote (paraphrase) of Isaiah 52:7).  I don't remember why he specifically used that illustration, but I do remember that he went on to describe his feet as the ugliest, nastiest feet ... but because "he brought good news", they were beautiful.

I have ugly feet.  I remember thinking (I was probably in my early 20's or late teens), "his feet are probably not as ugly as mine."  Granted I don't have leprosy or any severe foot fungus, but my toes are crooked, my toes are also webbed and I get weird foot sores sometimes.

They are so ugly ...

I have always been self-conscious of my feet.  Growing up in the Northwest, there was rare occasion to have my feet "on display".  Wearing shoes and socks most of the time, they were hidden away.  But then there were times when it couldn't be avoided.  Inevitably, at some gathering of some sort, mostly because of my "webbed" toes, someone (usually family) who had seen them would declare, "You have to see Paul's feet!" 

Am I a novelty!?  To be displayed between the "Bearded Lady" and an "Albino Crocodile"?

I remember one particularly scarring incident.  I was in junior high, and our family went to "Wild Waves" (a water slide park).  My dad and I were going down the big slide over and over.  He was perfecting his method to go faster and relaying to me his trial and errors.  "Get up on your heels and shoulder blades," he proclaimed, "But not too fast, I ran into the person in front of me last time."  I remember standing in line, excited to go faster, probably envisioning an outside pass inside the water tube.  Then all of a sudden, my excitement was deflated.  A couple of girls in the line next to us were snickering and whispering to eachother, "Look at his feet!"  and, "Oh my gosh they are so ugly!"

Combined with my already heightened self-consciousness of being in Junior High, wearing no shirt* and my peculiar feet, I was devastated.  I don't remember much of the rest of our time there, I was depressed and enjoyed none of it.

Fast forward 20 plus years.  We now live in Hawaii, where bare feet and flip flops are everyday things.  There are "Beautiful Feet" everywhere!

Apparently crooked and webbed toes are hereditary.










____________________
*Maybe someday I'll write about why "no shirt" is a self conscious thing ... even to this day.

7 comments:

  1. I still can't believe how big Caleb's feet are in comparison to yours! You were heel to heel in this photo, weren't you? He is SSSOOOOO going to be taller than you! He's only 9 and his feet are almost as big as yours.

    This is just craziness.

    I don't think I'm ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could always do this....

    http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/445toes.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a doctor once that said he could "fix" it. He suggested cutting a pie shape from my toe bone to straighten my toes and then separate the toes from each other with "a cut".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good call not going through with it. Your feet are great blogging material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Am I now exonerated, finally? No more guilt & shame (and blame) for refusing to get you new shoes as your feet grew??

    So now you say it's hereditary after all!
    (I'll say I was never near Caleb's feet!!!)

    I haven't seen Grandma Kay's or Grandpa Maynard's toes in years; maybe I should look...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom - I wouldn't go that far.

    I was specifically referreing to syndactyly (the webbed toes) as hereditary ... Caleb, also has a slight webbing (although, certainly not as defined)

    As far as his crooked toe ... I think he had a growth spurt in small shoes. I am, of course, suspicious still as to the cause of my own. You will notice, though, I did not make any accusations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I noticed. And thanks.

    But Ha! A growth spurt in small shoes! I wish I'd been clever enough to come up with that phrase!

    ReplyDelete